Image via Wikipedia
Is there anything more important than understanding the customer?
The ability of the entrepreneur to put themselves into the shoes of their customers or prospects and to see the world from their perspective is probably the single most important characteristics of successful business people.
Some marketers call it “marketing by walking around” and many sales professional often refer to the ancient Greek philosopher Epictetus quote “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
Being a keen student of human behavior, observing, listening, and asking questions is the key.
Here are some of the most important questions you should be asking:
- Who are the current customers?
- Who are your desired customers?
- What do they really want / expect?
- What dot they THINK? Rational Benefits
- What do they FEEL? Emotional Benefits
- How do they ACT? What is the BUYING PROCESS? What people SAY is often very different to what people DO!
- Why do customers buy from you?
- Why do they buy from your competitors?
The next entry will provide you with just about every conceivable reason of why people actually buy!